Savvy Society is a girls’ fashion brand that is revolutionizing the way young women are being introduced to STEM. Instead of taking a boring numbers and analytical approach to 3D printing, Alexa and Lauren have found a way to establish creativity and fun into an otherwise engineering driven technology.
At their pop-up shop in San Fransisco, one will be able to learn how to use TinkerCAD allowing them to design custom 3D printed accessories for shoes and luxury fashion. Girls are able to create their own designs called Savvy Swirls which are used as accessories for their shoes. #MySavvySwirl
Savvy Society aims to be the future of fashion exchange for young girls and to foster creativity in STEM.
Mentioned In This Episode:
You Will Learn:
- The beginnings of how Alexa and Lauren became passionate about STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) which was the catalyst for their introduction to 3D printing and subsequently the beginning of Savvy Society.
- How Alexa and Lauren were able to look at STEM as a creative platform, not necessarily a boring place where people code and solve math problems all day. By asking themselves the question, “how can I get more girls interested in math and engineering?” they were able to brainstorm ideas to inspire kids with creativity through new technologies.
- Asking young girls personal questions about gifts and friends allowed them to learn what these girls really wanted to create out of STEM.
- One of the main goals of Savvy Society is to foster young girls with the confidence to become successful designers and creators.
- Challenges behind teaching girls about 3D printing and getting them interested in making their own designs.
- What the future of 3D printing will do to help enable a community where people share and reiterate on other people’s designs.
- Savvy ways Savvy Society is preparing themselves for a future of 3D designs printed on demand.
- How looking at shapes in new perspectives has been extremely important for innovation. For example, emoji’s are fun objects that we probably would not be able to make without 3D printing.
Enjoy the episode!
You can also find The 3D Masterminds Podcast via other Podcast channels.
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: Since 3D printing helps make personalized clothing possible, what types of clothing, textiles or accessories would you enjoy customizing the most? Please let us know in the comments.