Will Van Epern is the Vice President of Avatarium 3D which is a next generation 3D scanning machine. Instead of taking image captures piece by piece Avatarium 3D literally takes a snapshot of your entire scan at once. The entire process is seamless and I even got a chance to test out a scan for myself at the Inside 3D Printing Conference in Santa Clara.
The machine is awe-inspiring and comparable to one of those chambers you see in the movie Aliens, but way cooler. You strike a pose and the operator takes a snapshot. The entire booth flashes at once and presto your body (or anything) has been scanned! Distinctly, the procedure is called photogrammetry which is a single shutter click that uses multiple cameras firing simultaneously. This process is instantaneous markedly faster and more efficient than other scanning methods we have tested as it can capture objects in motion. The great thing is that the virtual aspect of the technology prepares Avatarium well not only for 3D printing but also Virtual Reality applications in the future. Avatarium 3D’s photogrammetry array is something you have to see to believe.
Mentioned In This Episode:
You Will Learn:
- How Avatarium got started as a solution for 3D images using photogrammetry.
- A detailed explanation behind how photogrammetry works and how powerful it is for capturing instant 3D images.
- How 3D scanning will enable content creation for everyday users of 3D printing in the future.
- Some of the cool things people will be able create in the future with a 3D scan e.g. a 3D scan of yourself for a video game, animation for film, figurines, keepsakes, etc.
- The importance of good lighting during the photogrammetry capturing process.
- Challenges behind creating an advanced technology that is meant for the everyday consumer.
- The possibility of licensing the Avatarium 3D scanning booths at conventions, concerts, sports stadiums and large public events.
- Comparing the lessons learned, challenges and costs behind creating both the software and hardware technology to work for 3D scanning using photogrammetry.
- Custom figurines for wedding, holidays, pets, children and special moments.
- How 3D printing technology is actually behind the capability of resolution from photogrammetry 3D capture. Color 3D printers will soon be able to produce amazing physical photography.
- What’s next for Avatarium including consumer 3D scanners, scanning in real world environments, and mobile scanning.
Enjoy the episode!
You can also find The 3D Masterminds Podcast via other Podcast channels.
Thanks and feel free to share the episode with a friend you know that would love to get body scanned.
QUESTION(S) OF THE DAY: When it comes to 3D scanning, what would be some really fun things to capture and print? Please let us know in the comments.