Eric Ho is a former Shapeways employee from New York City. As the Shapeways Social media specialist for 2 years, Eric has had tremendous experience in marketing and social media, especially with 3D printing. While working at Shapeways he started his own 3D printing shop, Raw Legend Collaborations. Eric’s business flourishes through a unique business model despite not having a 3D modeling background.
As a self taught social media and digital marketing expert, Eric’s designs oftentimes go viral all over the Internet. You may have already seen some of his most popular prints such as the Thorgi: The Corgi God Of Thunder and the Tardigrade (Water Bear). In this interview we discuss how Eric builds his 3D printing business by leveraging professional designers using both his marketing and business acumen.
Mentioned In This Episode:
- The Coolector : Raw Legend 3D Printing
- The 10 Most viewed Products in December
- Arts and Science journal: Ode To The 3D printed Tardigrade
- The Daily Corgi: The Story Behind the 3D Printed Corgi God Of Thunder
- Merlin The Corgi (The dog modeling Corgi)
You Will Learn:
- How Eric started his business on Shapeways without a 3D modeling background.
- The business model behind how Eric runs his 3D printed shop on Shapeways. Eric collaborates with top 3D modelers who know how to design for any type of material.
- The process behind how Eric comes up with the idea, has the design made for him, and then markets the concept. He splits the royalties 50/50 with his designers.
- The process behind brainstorming and developing his incredible 3D printed Corgi niche.
- How Eric inspires his audience to create their own 3D printed shop on Shapeways without even needing 3D design experience.
- Some of the challenges behind not knowing how to 3D design and learning to create your own designs.
- How to ignite your Shapeways store through marketing. Eric doesn’t just market and promote. He interacts directly with his ideal customers.
- Using Twitter as a listening platform. Searching for trending topics with hashtags and starting conversations.
- Leveraging Instagram’s visuality and engaging within comments. Direct Messages are extremely effective for introductions and photos.
- Joining relevant Facebook groups and personally sharing your content. Reaching your audience with Facebook sponsored posts.
- Getting early feedback before launching your product.
- The advantages of being a jack-of-all trades in all aspects of business.
- How in today’s digital world, your skills are your most valuable currency.
Enjoy the episode!
You can also find The 3D Masterminds Podcast via other Podcast channels.
Thanks and enjoy the episode!