Fernando Sosa is a talented 3D designer who creates visual representations of political imagery and literally sculpts them to life with 3D printing! He has been designing digitally since 2003 but has only recently gotten into 3D printing technology. Although he creates prints of all kinds he is best known for his prints that make political statements.
Some audiences may find his work offensive but mostly they are just comedic and satirical. You will find his prints oftentimes on the news and on places like reddit. In this interview Fernando gives great inspiration for designers and tips on how your prints can go viral.
- Political Sculptor
- Amznfx Portfolio
- Shapeways Shop
- Thingiverse Profile
- Fernando’s original 3D Printed iPhone Wallet on Instructables
Mentioned In This Episode:
- Politics and 3D Printing Make Strange Bedfellows: The Work of Fernando Sosa
- Mr. Putin Butt Plug
- Chris Christie “inaction” figure
- Left Shark
- Donald Trump Butt Plug (NSFW)
- Breaking Bad
You Will Learn:
- The process Fernando follows for choosing different designs to create, especially when it comes to political imagery and getting a message out there. He also goes over the digital modeling process and how he optimizes his designs for 3D prints. Oftentimes one design will have multiple prints that are connected together.
- A few thoughts on how the 3D printing process can be improved, particularly for budding designers.
- The complete step-by-step creation of a toy from idea to design to 3D print to paint and the economics behind selling them worldwide on different commerce channels.
- Thoughts on how 3D printing will disrupt the Toy industry in the next 5 to 10 years and how this affects individualized designers and entrepreneurs. Copyright infringement will play a larger role in the fight for digital file protection.
- Multi-colored 3D printers and their effective for creating digitally designed caricatures and toys. We also share our thoughts on printing services and the materials he uses for his prints.
- How Fernando managed to avoid (and then eventually win over) Katy Perry’s lawyers who sent him cease and desist letters for creating Left Shark. You will also learn which print has generated the most “hate” mail for Fernando.
- Advice for aspiring designers just getting into 3D printing and want to create amazing art/toys (and why you shouldn’t just follow the money).
- What’s next and coming up ideas for 3D printed creations that can go viral.
Listen to the show!
You can also find The 3D Masterminds Podcast via other Podcast channels.
Please be sure to leave us a review as they help us rank and reach more people with our message. Thanks!